Wednesday, December 18, 2002

i flipped the DR the bird...

the last thing i need is uncertainty over my vacation. we've been planning this trip for far too long to be worrying about it a week before the departure date. the DR embassy could give me no consolation as of this afternoon as to when or if i would get approved for my visa. he wanted me to wait until friday.

...friday...

...4 days before the proposed trip...

so, after thinking it over for the last two nights with c, i decided to flip them the bird. they're sending me my passport back today.

instead, we are changing our destination to st. lucia. not only is it one of the few countries where i, as a bangladeshi citizen, can go without a visa (the no-visa thing is a result of both countries being a member of the commonwealth of nations), but it also just seems a lot more friendly than the DR. actually, anything seems more friendly than the DR right now. i am still quite annoyed by the whole thing, but console myself by visiting the hotel website every so often because i am excited that not only does it look like a nice, relaxing, quaint hotel, but it is also gay owned. gotta love it. i spoke to the owner on the phone several times today and he is quite the sweetheart.

by the way, did you all know that the "sandals" chain of resorts have a policy, an actual policy, that prohibits homosexuals from patronizing their resorts? i always knew it was for couples only, but i never knew it was restricted to heterosexual couples. what a bunch of assholes.

anyways, i now know that i will be spending my hard earned dollars wisely, in a country that will not hassle me for being muslim, and at a hotel where c and i can feel free to be ourselves.